Does Dallas Have Flash Floods?
Flash floods are sudden, destructive floods that occur with little notice. They are the number one weather-related killer in the United States. Dallas, TX is part of flash flood alley, a region of Texas known for these severe weather events.
Flash floods can happen anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours after excessive rainfall.
How can Dallas residents prepare for flooding?
Although flash floods come on suddenly, residents can still prepare in advance. Protect your property so that you’re prepared when flash floods strike.
- Monitor local weather stations and take heed of warnings.
- Follow evacuation orders and leave when officials recommend it.
- Have an evacuation plan prepared. Include plans for your pets and any livestock.
- Know your evacuation route and avoid any low-lying areas when leaving.
- Create a “go bag” to have ready for a flood. Include copies of critical documents, medicines, and any pet or baby supplies you may need for a few days.
- When practical, invest in flood-proofing measures such as elevated foundations.
- In the dry season, take time to seal basements, doors, and windows against water.
- Invest in flood insurance from a trusted firm, like Alloy Insurance partners. Flood insurance will help protect your investment if the worst should occur.
Can flood insurance help protect homeowners?
Flash floods are unpredictable. Protecting your property investment doesn’t have to be. Investing in a flood policy can protect Dallas, TX residents from incurring significant losses in a worst-case scenario. Eligibility for flood insurance can differ depending on counties and flood zones. While some areas may require homeowners to carry it, laws vary.
At Alloy Insurance Partners, we understand your needs. Our agents serving DFW are ready to help you make a wise choice regarding your property. Reach out today to learn more about protecting your home from floods.